Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘ostia’


For family or couples but sure for fun, you will find in this parks rope bridges, free climbing natural or artificial, itineraries and paths inside the nature.
Treja Adventure (In the nature reserve of Monte Gelato) You will have the opportunity to venture into the woods, to be suspended on trees using ropes to do a real acrobatic path that consist on walkways over rope bridges and wooden platforms.
Web Site: Adventure Treja
Adventure Park (Lido Di Ostia – Rome) Play and fun for fans of adventure. And, for lovers of strong emotions, artificial climbing walls, jumping from great heights and numerous itineraries in contact with nature.
Web Site: Adventure Park 
Quercus Village
Immersed in the beautiful forest of Macchia Grande of Manziana there’s this beautiful adventure park, designed for those who like to engage in exciting locations such as the rope bridge or rock climbing. Also there is the opportunity to perform various activities related to the environment such as excursions by mountain bike, rented directly to the park, walks, tours of the forest but also the most adrenaline activities such as tree climbing or survival courses.
Web Site: Quercus Village
Adventure Park of Gianola (Riviera of Ulysses) In the beatiful natural park of Gianola and Mount of Scauri, lies an adventure park called “Suspended Park” which is currently managed by The Riviera di Ulisse Regional Park in collaboration with the Esperia section of the Italian Alpine Club.
Web Site:: Park of Gianola
Fagus Park (Leonessa – Rieti) This environmental education center takes place in a beautiful natural setting where you can play and have fun climbing the trees, crossing bridges and living in contact with nature in complete safety.
Web Site: Fagus park
Indiana Park Riva Dei Tarquini (Riva dei Tarquini – Viterbo) This park offers trails of varying difficulty in which you can climb trees, go from the foliage of a tree to the next and slip up along cable cars in safety.
Web Site: Indiana Park
Advertisements

Read Full Post »


In Ostia you have to see the ruins of this city and also the Seaport of Claudius and the Castle of Julius II.
If you like to arrive in Ancient Ostia from Rome, take the metro “B” line from Termini Station until the metro stop of Magliana. Then from here take the train for Ostia Antica.
The remains of Ancient Ostia stand on a territorial and geographical context that is very different from the ancient one
: in fact, in the Roman age, the Tiber skirted the northern side of the inhabited area, while nowadays it scarcely touches a portion of the western sector, having had its bed dragged downstream by a famous and disastrous flood in 1557.Moreover, the shoreline as well, originally close to the town, is now 4 km away from it, because of the advance of the mainland due to the debris left by the river over the last 2000 years. Ostia, therefore, was a town built on both the sea and the river and such a special position determined its relevance over the centuries from a strategic-military and an economic viewpoint.According to an ancient tradition, it was founded as a colony by the fourth king of Rome, Ancus Marcius, about the year 620 BCE, in order to exploit the salt-mines at the mouth of the Tiber (hence the name Ostia, which derives from ostium = embouchure). Nevertheless, the most ancient remain is a fortalice (Castrum), made of tufa blocks, dating only to the second half of the 4th c. BCE, built by the Roman settlers with the solely military aim of controlling the mouth of the Tiber and the Latian coast.
Later, especially after the 2nd century BCE, when Rome gained supremacy over the whole Mediterranean sea, the military function of the town started to decrease, as it quickly became the main emporium of Rome. For this reason, particularly between the 1st and the 2nd century CE, Ostia greatly expanded by equipping itself with prominent public and private buildings.
In the following centuries, given the general decline of the Roman Empire, the town fell into a slow decay which led to the abandonment of the site after the mid-5th century CE.

In 42 CE the Emperor Claudius began the construction of a large seaport (Port of Claudius), located 3 km north of the mouth of the Tiber, and completed in 64 CE, under Nero’s principate.
The massive infrastructure ensured a quiet basin in which could be safely carried out the discharge of goods from the large trade vessels arriving from across the Mediterranean as well as their transhipment onto river boats (naves caudicariae) suitable for sailing up the Tiber as far as Rome.
The port basin, spanning more than 200 hectares, was excavated in the dryland partially enclosed on the seaward side by two curved piers converging towards the entrance. There, on an artificial island, stood a gigantic lighthouse, similar to the famous Lighthouse of Alexandria of Egypt, which indicated to seafarers the entrance of the basin. Also, at least two artificial canals ensured the connection between the sea, the Port of Claudius and the Tiber.
The foundations of the right-hand side (or northern) pier are still visible behind the Museum of Ships for an extent of about one kilometre.On the quay that bordered the dock on the landward side are still preserved some of the functional structures relevant to the port: the so-called Captaincy, a cistern and some thermal buildings constructed, though, in a later period (2nd c. CE) than Claudius’s structure.
The scant security and the progressive silting to which the port was prone, drove the emperor Trajan to build, just 40 years later (between 100 and 112 CE), a new more inward basin, the Port of Trajan. The Port of Claudius, continued, however, to be used as a roadstead

In 1483, under the pontificate of Pope Sixtus IV, the Bishop of Ostia Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere (the future Pope Julius II) began the construction of the Castle of Ostia, which was completed in 1486 under Pope Innocent VIII . The fortalice incorporated the pre-existing round tower, built in 1423-24 under Pope Martin V Colonna, which became the keep of the new building. The fortress served as the seat of the Papal Custom Houses, which regulated the payment of excise on goods arriving in Rome by sea.
Once ascended to the papal throne, Julius II (1503-1513) had important transformations made: a true papal apartment was built on the western side of the courtyard, by means of refurbishing some of the environments of the era of the Borgias. The three floors of the building were connected by a monumental staircase, frescoed, according to recent studies, by Baldassare Peruzzi with some collaborators, among them being the Lombard Cesare da Sesto.
At the end of the conflict between France and Spain, in 1556, the fortress of Ostia underwent a famous siege by the Spaniards, which resulted in no few damages to the structure. One year later, in 1557, after a sensational flood, the Tiber shifted its course to the present one. This caused the transfer of the Papal Custom Houses first to Tor Boacciana and then to Tor S. Michele.
In the 18th century the castle was used as a barn and then, in the following century, it became a prison for the convicts used as forced labour in the excavations at Ancient Ostia.
After several restorations made over the course of the 20th century, in 2003 an exhibition space was arranged in some of the rooms of the papal apartments and of the keep, in order to display the most significant part of the collection of late medieval and Renaissance ceramics, issuing from excavations carried out in the last century within the castle and the village.

Read Full Post »


The Capocotta beach is located in the south of Rome near the presidential residence of  Castelporziano.
The beautiful and wide beach is characterized by dunes rich of myrtle, juniper and other vegetation. Capocotta is a  part of the territory of the Roman Coastal State Nature Reserve named “Secche di Tor Paterno” particular appreciated for the diving activities.  The entrance to the beach Capocotta is free.
Special features of this area is that part of the beach is frequented by naturists completely naked for nudism activities. A good restaurant is inside. The beach is accessible by  public transport 7 and 62 starting from Lido di Ostia.

Read Full Post »