Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Center Of Rome’


Walking in the center of Rome and having a glance at own shoes propably they need to be fixed by Arellano a shoemaker.
arellano-manHis company was founded by Antonio Arellano, in 1998 is one of the few companies to arellano-womenhave exclusive clients italoperuanas, as the pope Ratzinger. The trick Arellano business success lies in the quality and dedication they devote to each shoe is manufactured.
The techniques used have been learned both in Peru and Italy. The materials used are completely Italian.
Arellano does not make shoes in series, and indeed each shoe is made of a single model. Arellano does not make shoes in series, and indeed each shoe is made of a single model. This is what makes the Arellano shoes an exclusive company, for exclusive clients.
Arellano has two stores, one located in Via del Falco 30 (very close to the Vatican), and another located in Via de Gasperi 25/27, also at the center of Rome.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »


The Isola Tiberina has always been a mysterious place, shrouded in legend, surrounded by the river and linked inseparably to the origins of Rome. The island is heralded by the “Ponte Rotto” (broken bridge), the “Pons Aemilius“, the first stone bridge in Rome, restored several times because of the turbulence of the Tiber, which at that point has won the battle leaving only a few remains.
This remarkable piece of land in the middle of the Tiber was called “Intra duos pontes” (between two bridges) by the Romans; the island was connected to the terra firma by two bridges that were originally wooden. One is the Cestio bridge, built in 46 BC by Lucius Cestius and restored numerous times over the centuries because of the flooding of the river, so that what was a single-span bridge ended up with three arches; it was also called Ponte San Bartolomeo and “ponte ferrato” (bridge strengthened with iron).
The second bridge, Fabricio, preceded by the Caetani Tower, which belonged to the family that had transformed the island into a small fort in the Middle Ages, was also called “Ponte dei Giudei” (bridge of the Jews) because it was near the Ghetto.
The origins of the Isola Tiberina are to be found in the numerous legends surrounding it: it was supposed to have arisen over an ancient ship, whose shape it still maintains, further accentuated by the Romans, who to feed the legend built a stone prow and stern on it, giving it the shape of a warship, with the obelisk in the centre of the island.
According to another legend, the island was said to have arisen on the mud accumulated over the crops of Tarquin the Proud, thrown into the water by the people with a feeling of liberation and protest, after driving the hated Etruscan tyrant out of Rome.
The priests of the god had given the Roman ambassadors a sacred serpent which, as the ship approached the Tiber port, had dived into the water and crawled to the island, hiding in the thick vegetation. Thus the Isola Tiberina was consecrated to the god of medicine and from then on acquired the fame, reinforced by the presence of a spring of health-giving water, that distinguishes it to this day, of a place of healing and hospitals. During the plague of 1656 the entire island was transformed into a lazaretto.
The Temple of Aesculapius, with the ditch full of serpents consecrated to the god, which the priests had the task of feeding, stood where the church of San Bartolomeo stands today, with its baroque façade, but built around the year 1000 by Otto III, who dedicated it to St. Adalberto.

Read Full Post »


MONTI FLAT  is located two minutes of the Roman Forum and the Colosseum in the heart of ancient Rome.
Not so far just 400 mt. there is the Metro line Station CAVOUR of “B” line. Internet connection is free. The house is on the first floor of a historic building in 1800. There is an entrance hall, kitchen equipped with everything you need to prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner: gas machine, sink, microwave, toaster, kettle, dishes, cutlery, pots, cups, glasses and a table and chairs for meals in privacy. There is a large room where 2 people can sleep in a comfortable double sofa bed, LCD TV and WIFI INTERNET. For a third person there is a very comfortable armchair bed and space do not really miss. The bathroom is complete with all accessories with shower and hairdryer. The house is in the Monti neighborhood, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Rome, where you can find famous pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, bars, but be assured, the house is located in an alley very quiet so that your nights will not be disturbed from excessive noise.
Direct booking by credit card at:
http://www.romahappydays.com/monti-flat/

Read Full Post »


Beeing at the top os St.Peter Basilica and looking in front of you along Via della Conciliazione, you can see the wonderful Castel of Castel Sant’Angelo.  This impressive large circular construction was built by emperor Hadrian in 130-139 AC as a mausoleum for himself and his family in substitution of one, already built on the opposite side of the Tiberby emperor Augustus.
The height is nearly 50m, the design belongs to Hadrian. The mausoleum consisted of a base 89m sq., supporting a round tower 64m in diameter of peperino and travertine overlaid with marble.
Above this was an earthen tumulus planted with cypress trees. At the top was an altar bearing a bronze quadriga driven by a charioteer representing Hadrian, as the Sun, ruler of the world. Inside the building is a spiral ramp, which led to a straight passageway ending in the cella, in which was the Imperial tomb. Hadrian and Sabina (his wife) were buried in the mausoleum, as were succeeding emperors until Septimus Severus in 175.
The mausoleum was gradually transformed into a castle. Theodoric, the king of Italy (493-526), used it as a prison and for a time it became known as carceres Theodorici. By the late 12C the castle was established as papal property. In 1378 it was severely damaged by the citizens of Rome, resentful of foreign domination. In the reign of Boniface IX rebuilding begun. Alexander VI had A.da Sangallo the Elder complete the four bastions of the square inner ward which had been begun by Nicolas V.
From 1849 to 1870 the castle was occupied by French troops. Under the Italian Government it was used as barracks and as a prison until 1901, when the work of restoration was begun. In 1933-34 the castle was adapted for use as a museum (58rooms) and the surrounding area was cleared. It is named – National Museum of Castel Sant’Angelo (Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant’Angelo).
Being an official prison for many centuries Castel S.Angelo contains numerous prison cells, to begin with those built by Pius IV with the sizes that wouldn’t permit a prisoner to stand on the legs and lie, the only position possible was sitting.
In the so called Cortile Dal Pozzo, built by Alexander VI, were the cells reserved for important persons. For example, here in 1538 – beginning of 1539 for the first time was held Benvenuto Cellini, where he could continue his activity as a sculptor and from where he escaped using the rope made of the pieces of bed sheet. But he was caught in a short time and re-imprisoned again till the end of 1539, but this time – in underground cell.
The processes over the prisoners were held in the Hall of Justice, it was built in Roman times above the sepulchral cella, and has a fresco of Justice attributed to Domenico Zaga.
The executions took place out of the castle on the other side of the Tiber, but in a lot of cases -inside of the castle, right in the cells.
In 1925 the National Museum of Caste Sant’Angelo was founded to celebrate the glories of the Army. Today the interior of the castle can be visited with its seventeenth century rich frescoed halls (Hall of Apollo, Hall of Paolina decorated with the Stories of Alexander the Great, Hall of Perseus with episode of the myth of the Greek hero, Room of Amore and Psiche), the prisons, the collection of antique arms, the collection of ancient marbles, ceramics, and sculptures.
Visit for more info :  http://www.castelsantangelo.com/

Read Full Post »


Walking with horse-drawn carriage to Rome, you can leave the car and stress and give you a real pleasure discovering Rome with the calm and tranquility that only a carriage with horses can provide. A very romantic choice for couples or for those who have just married. You will enjoy a walk in the historical center of Rome: the Colosseum, Fori Imperiali, Piazza di Spagna, the Vatican, Piazza Navona, and so many others.
I recommend the evening carriage ride in the historic city which can be terminated at the request of the local Roman tradition, to experience unforgettable taste of the past.
More informations about this experience at: www.romaincarrozza.it

Read Full Post »


VILLA BORGHESE (Via Veneto) The Borghese Family owned the oldest part of the Villa since 1580, but at the beginning of the seventeenth century Cardinal Scipione Caffarelli Borghese, Pope Paul V’s nephew, began purchasing the neighbouring lands intent on creating a “villa di delizie”. The Villa’s first layout, assigned to architects Flaminio Ponzio and Giovanni Vasanzio, included, according to the classic tradition, a pars urbana and a pars rustica, divided in three “rings” . villa borgheseIt remained thus until the 18th century. The first ring was the most ostentatious, where the Casino Nobile, numerous statues and fountains and a “sylvan” garden are found. The present Parco dei Daini corresponds to the second ring, a garden reserved for the prince. The Giardini Segreti are found between the first and second rings. The third ring was the countryside, the broadest and vastest part, that suffered the majority of alterations over time. At the end of the 18th century, Prince Marcantonio IV fostered a general renovation of the Villa, which involved the design of new furnishings and the transformation of the seventeenth century buildings, employing architects Antonio and Mario Asprucci and various artists. At the beginning of the 19th century the Villa was expanded with new purchases: Villa Giustiniani and other minor villas, near Porta del Popolo, and the former Villas Doria and Manfroni, near Porta Pinciana. Luigi Canina’s work combined the new properties and bestowed the Villa with a new layout with numerous small eclectically and neoclassical inspired buildings. The villa entered a new phase when it was purchased by the State (1901) and later transferred to the Municipality of Rome. Borghese Gallery The gallery houses one of the most beautiful collections in the world: included among the masterpieces, the very famous statue of Paolina Borghese by Canova, “Amor sacro e Amor profano” and “Venere che benda Amore” by Tiziano, the “Deposizione” by Raffaello, the splendid statues by Bernini, six of the best works of Caravaggio, “La caccia di Diana” by Domenichino, and the works of Perugino, Pinturicchio, Veronese, Rubens Giardino del Lago (Lake Garden): one of the loveliest places in the park and a rare example of an English garden in the Roman area, rich with exotic plants such as banana trees and baldcypresses; in the centre of an artificial island, a temple was built dedicated to Aesculapius. The famous Piazza di Siena every year in May hosts horse-jumping and carriage-racing competitions.

Read Full Post »