Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Vintage places’ Category


Walking in the center of Rome and having a glance at own shoes propably they need to be fixed by Arellano a shoemaker.
arellano-manHis company was founded by Antonio Arellano, in 1998 is one of the few companies to arellano-womenhave exclusive clients italoperuanas, as the pope Ratzinger. The trick Arellano business success lies in the quality and dedication they devote to each shoe is manufactured.
The techniques used have been learned both in Peru and Italy. The materials used are completely Italian.
Arellano does not make shoes in series, and indeed each shoe is made of a single model. Arellano does not make shoes in series, and indeed each shoe is made of a single model. This is what makes the Arellano shoes an exclusive company, for exclusive clients.
Arellano has two stores, one located in Via del Falco 30 (very close to the Vatican), and another located in Via de Gasperi 25/27, also at the center of Rome.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »


At the beginning of the second millennium, a huge number of pilgrims travelled to Via-Francigena3three major destinations:  Rome, the city of the martyrdom of Saints Peter and Paul, the italy-via-francigenafounders of the Christian church; The Holy Land, site of Calvary, where the pilgrims viafrancigena4sought out the places of Christ’s Passion; Santiago de Compostela, the furthest point of western Europe which the Holy Apostle James chose as his final resting place. Thus Europe became a vast web of roads, paths and routes all of which led towards these pilgrimage sites. The way to Rome was along what was probably the most important road of the times, the Via Francigena or Via Romea which led to the Eternal City from the Western Alps and the Rhineland and was used for seven centuries by sovereigns, emperors, plebeians and clergymen. The Via Francigena led all the way from Canterbury to Rome and was one of the pathways of European history. It was a main thoroughfare along which hundreds of thousands of pilgrims passed on their way to Rome. In those days, the journey was not just an adventure or a risk but an act of devotion in itself, and the pilgrims would stop off along the way at places deemed holy by the Church.
The Via Francigena cut through the Alps in the Valley of Aosta and proceeded southwards through Piedmont, Lombardy, the flatlands of the river Po (Padania) before going through the Apennines near Berceto to pass into Tuscany and Latium, and then Rome. This route is an essential and formative phenomenon in the history of Europe.
If we look at the Etrurian section, we can identify the route and the posting stages. From Proceno, a resting station, the pilgrims moved on to Acquapendente which was a fundamental part of the journey as it contained a precious reliquary from the Holy Land, now kept in the Cathedral crypt. They then travelled down to Bolsena, an important town because of the Corpus Domini miracle, and on to Montefiascone, a mediaeval town even then known for its wine. The next stage was Viterbo which, indeed, developed and grew thanks to its strategic position on the Via Francigena. Viterbo thus became a cardinal destination on the itinerary and was well supplied with hospices and lodgings. The traces of this concentration of pilgrim activity are still very much to be seen today. After Viterbo, travellers faced the obstacle of the Cimini mountains which they traversed by going either to the right or to the left along the Vico Lake. The more popular choice varied from age to age. One way led to Ronciglione and the little church of Saint Eusebius. The other led through chestnut woods and we may still make out traces of an old path that passed by the Cistercian Abbey of St Martins in Cimino. The pilgrims would then make their way to Vetralla where a country road led them to the little church of Santa Maria in Forcassi, mentioned by Sigericus. After this, the road led to Capranica, Sutri, Monterosi and then the pilgrims left the Via Cassia for the Via Trionfale that led them into Rome at last.

Read Full Post »


Just to remind that in Rome and Viterbo we suggest to visit the following places:

Read Full Post »


The PIETRO MICCA is the oldest italian triple-expansion steam-powered merchant ship and is in a class of her own for her state of preservation and operational performance, having been engaged in regular port activities on a par with modern tugs until 1993.

She was built as a sea-going steam tugboat by Rennoldson & Son, in Southshields, Newcastle (GB) and in 1905 was registered as a steam-powered tug, Schooner Class, in the Coastal Sector Register in Naples, in whose waters she was to spend most of her days.

A life fulfilled in the world of work and all that it entails: ships and seamen from distant lands with tales and legends of cargoes and the knowledge that a frayed cable could cost lives, that a tow badly aligned could cause a ship to capsize. It is memories like these which amply justify the over a century aged Pietro Micca’s honest pride.

And even today she has not been pensioned off. At the beginning of 1996 she was bought by the “Associazione Amici delle Navi a Vapore G. L. Spinelli” (the G.L. Spinelli “Friends of Steamships Association”), in order to save a part of our cultural heritage from certain demolition and make her still valid services available to the public.
The Pietro Micca is always ready and waiting to put to sea again to work for her future, as historical witness of the old technology. Nowadays the Pietro Micca is mooring in Fiumicino (Rome) inside the TECNOMAR shipyard and ready for new adventures.

Read Full Post »


In Christmas of 1223 St. Francis realized in Greccio with the help of the local population and of John Vel t, lord of places, a living nativity scene with the intention of recreating the mystical atmosphere of the Nativity in Bethlehem, to see with their eyes where Jesus was born.
Everything was prepared and, with the approval of Pope Honorius III, on that night the first living nativity scene takes place in the world.
The characters on the night of the 1223 animated “Nativity of St. Francis” are those handed down by tradition and historical sources, the writings of Thomas of Celano and St. Bonaventure:
– St. Francis, who in his wanderings on the mountain reaches of Greccio in 1208, where he met Sir John Velta and the local population to make them sharers in his mind and seek the collaboration needed to implement the project;
– John Speedita: Lord of Greccio, descended from the Counts of Celano and the Berardi family, who became a great friend of the Holy and with him working on the project. Despite his advanced et, do not hesitate to reach San Francisco in the mountains of Greccio to convince him to move into town and, in the vicinity of Fonte Colombo, the Saint of Assisi expressed the desire to relive the mystery of Christmas in Greccio of Bethlehem;
– Alticama: daughter of Guido Castelli, Lord of Stroud, wife of John Velta, actively participating in the event building with his hands the statue of the Infant Jesus;
– The Heralds: guards and faithful servants of the noble Velta assisting him in all its activities and go across the valley to convene the people for Christmas in Greccio;
– Nobles: courtiers witnesses of the events of that mystical night, lived in the wake of their lord;
– The Friars: companions of Francis, who faithfully followed him everywhere as Fr Leo, Ruginio, Angel, three followers in the future, from Greccio, gave written testimony to the life of St. Francis in the “Legend of the Three Companions”;
– Finally, the people flocked to the call of the heralds carrying candles and torches to illuminate the special night, climbing up the jungle with hymns and prayers led by a deep faith awakened in them by the poor man of Assisi. In these places was born and developed the sanctuary of the Nativity of Greccio, where every year since 1973, according to tradition, faithfully recreates the event.
The idea of ​​representing the first nativity scene was of P. Valerio Casponi  that participate in its realization and today about one hundred people, including extras and technical staff engaged in the performance set in Greccio from 24 December until January 6.

Read Full Post »


Since 1888 we buy and sell old books, cars and entire libraries. The library is situated in the historical center of Rome between Piazza libreria-cesarettidel Collegio Romano and the Pantheon. For over 100 years we offer a quality service with professionalism and competence. Our job is to assist in the purchase of books from university professor to the student’s high school, all those who want to deepen any argument or a gift. If we had not immediately available to the book requested, we always try to obtain it as soon as possible.
At the same time, another fundamental aspect of our business involves the purchase of books, both modern and ancient, and even whole libraries. Again you try to help people as best as possible, with reliability and fairness, their needs and finding the best possible solution.
The address: LIBRERIA CESARETTI AL COLLEGIO ROMANO v. Pie’ di Marmo 27 – ROMA Call: +39.06.6786264
Web Site: www.libreriacesaretti.com

Read Full Post »