Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Latium Nature Reserve’ Category


It ‘s a farmland with human millennial activities, still natural forests, animal and plant populations of great value and historical sites of great interest are present nowdays.
A network of trails makes it easy to get around. It is recommended the respect of the environment. Its possible to use the mountain-bike as welle it’s reccomended to visit the wonderful reserve by foot. There are 630 plant species more than half of those known to the whole of Rome.
The Insugherata is located in the North-West of Rome, just a few kilometers from the center.
It is bordered to the east by the Via Cassia, west of Via Trionfale, south of Via Cortina d’Ampezzo, the GRA ring road crosses the viaduct to the north.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »


Near Rome going in the south direction there are the Monti Simbruini (the mountains of Rome).
This is a protected area of the Apennines, with two thousand meter high summits, vast beech tree woodlands, large karstic plateaus, spring waters (“sub imbribus”, under the rain), scattered with small towns (the seven Park Municipalities) rich in ancient historical and artistic evidences. The regional park of Simbruini Mountains covers an area of 30,000 hectares between the Aniene valley in the west/north-west, the Sacco valley in the south-west, the border with Abruzzi in the east and Ernici Mountains in the south-east.
Famous cities around are: Camerata Nuova, Subiaco, Filettino, Trevi nel Lazio and Vallepietra. Moreover there are the area of Arcinazzo for its plateaus.
Subiaco and Vallepietra for instance are known because monasteries are there and is a good area for skiing too such as Monte Livata, as well as for Filettino in the area of Campo Staffi.

Read Full Post »


At Ladispoli, just 40 km far from Rome, is the oasis of the Palo, born in 1980, with WWF and the Princes Odescalchi, who are the owners of the area. This nature reserve is close with the beachside of Ladispoli and with the Castle Odescalchi.
This area has the advantage of having kept its value intact natural forests one of the last remaining lowland wet on the coast, once extended all along the Tyrrhenian Sea. Oaks, cedars, maples, oaks, but also smaller, flowering ash, ciavardelli are trees that present themselves to those who want to enter into this environment once called “jungle”, impenetrable, dangerous but at the same time, fascinating.
For a long time used as a hunting reserve, when Pope Leo X was used to kill deer and fallow deer, the oasis, today, remains the only “reserve” where foxes, porcupines, badgers, but also skunks, weasels and hedgehogs, can be found refuge. But the oasis of Palo is also the place where many birds can make a stop along their migratory routes or stop to nest. Nightingales, Rigoli, long-tailed tits and great tits, in fact, build their nests in the foliage of oak trees, and horned, barn owls and tawny owls at night they move to capture prey for their young.

Read Full Post »


The Reserve is situated at the border between the Provinces of Roma and Rieti, in the territory of the Municipalities of Nazzano, Torrita Tiberina, and Montopoli di Sabina, along the lower course of the river Tiber.
The maximum height that can be found in the protected area is of 202 meters above sea level, corresponding to the hill on the right of Nazzano, while the minimum height is of 30 meters above sea level and refers to the surface of the Lake.
Starting from the north and going in a clockwise direction, from the Bridge of Montorso in the Municipality of Torrita Tiberina, its perimeter is delimited by the railway line Roma-Orte, by the ENEL dam in Nazzano, by the SP road Tiberina up to Km. 31,000. From here the border of the Reserve bends towards the towns of Nazzano and Torrita Tiberina and, following the loops of the river Tiber, ends at the Bridge of Montorso. The Municipality of Montopoli di Sabina lies far from the protected area.
The Reserve covers an area of about 700 hectares, half of which is occupied by the river bends, by Nazzano Lake, and by the last stretch of the stream Farfa flowing into the river Tiber, on its left bank, at about 1500 meters from the ENEL dam.
Inside the Flora you can find Marsh wood, riparian wood, mixed forest, Mediterranean forest.
The Fauna instead is composed by great variety of environments of the Reserve houses birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, fish.

Read Full Post »


Nature Reserve of 44 hectares, established in 1988, and located between Anzio Lavinio Lido at Km 34.400 of Ardeatina, is one of the last stretches of thousands of hectares of forest that once covered the region of Lazio until the beginning of 1900.
The reserve is an example of Mediterranean forest dominated by evergreen: oaks, which make up 70%.
Also rich in fauna consists of reptiles, nine species, amphibians, five species, birds, mammals and various fifty species. They are housed in the Reserve of Tor Caldara dozens of examples of tortoises that offer a friendly welcome to all visitors.
The many sulphurous springs, in which it is forbidden to bathe, are due to the rise of volcanic gases from the roots of the volcano Lazio devices.
The reserve can meet the numerous remains of Roman buildings and a watchtower, erected in 1560 in defense of the Saracen raids. Tor Caldara remains an oasis of unspoiled natural landscapes in which these values ​​find that man has fortunately not affected and still jealously preserved. Characteristic of the area it was also the extraction of sulfur, undertaken for the first time in 1569 by Marco Antonio Colonna.
This was done through large earthenware, “hot flashes”, placed in large ovens powered by cutting part of the wood on site.
Then the sulfur, worked in pigs, were stacked at the Torre delle Caldane waiting to be shipped to Genoa, Rome and other destinations, where another procedure was turned into vitriol or sulfuric acid.

Read Full Post »