The park of Monsters of Bomarzo was devised by the architect Pirro Ligorio (he completed the Cathedral of Saint Peter in Rome after the death of Michelangelo and built Villa d’Este in Tivoli) on commision of Prince Pier Francesco Orsini (1523-1585), called Vicino, only to vent the heart broken at the death of is wife Giulia Farnese (+1560).
The park was born in 1552 as “Villa of Wonders” to be the only one of it’s kind in the world. The Park of Monsters remained in oblivion till 1954 when it was
bought by Mr Giovanni Bettini who with loving care has managed it. A visit to the park will unfold in a series of stages ranging between mythology and fantasy.
There are 24 works of art even though many more are contained in the park.: The Entry – The ‘Ninfeo’ – Ceres – Etruscan bench – Proteus Glaucus – Venus – The elephant – The cerberes – The Mausoleum – The Theatre – The Dragon – Proserpina – Herculus e Cacus – Hanging House – The Ogre (or Orc) – Echidna and Furia – The Turtle – Neptune – The cantaro – The ‘rotonda – ‘The Pegasus – The Nymph – Jupiter – The temple
The park is open all year long from 8.00 a.m. until sunset .
Entrace fees : individual 9,00 Euro – children from 4 to 8 years 7,00 Euro
For more information on prices and special opening hours, contact directly the park on +39-761924029.
Suggested accomodation for this area: BOMARZO Village