The Castle presents itself as a fortified village – with its watchtowers, moat and enclosure wall – clearly testifying to its medieval origin. In 1254, it was originally listed as one of the properties belonging to the Nobles Normanni Alberteschi, but was first passed on to the Anguillara Family, then to the Massimo, and finally, in the 17th century, it can be found as part of the Peretti Estate. At the beginning of the 17th century, Prince Michele Peretti, nephew of Pope Sixtus the Fifth, turned the place into a great and imposing courtly residence. The Castle became the setting of magnificent banquets and hunting parties, while multicolored peacocks roamed through archeological ruins and juniper trees. But the family estate was soon run dry by this extravagant way of life and so, in 1639, the estate and the castle were sold to one of the wealthiest Roman families of the Baroque Era, the Princes Falconieri. They commissioned two of the time’s greatest artists to refurbish Torre in Pietra. Architect Ferdinando Fuga – who built the small octagonal church and the elegant staircase
that leads to the first floor (“piano nobile”) and that could also board horses – and the painter Pier Leone Ghezzi, who was assigned with the decoration of the Interiors. The castle, as it presents itself to us today, is how it was at the time of the Falconieri Family. The frescoes are perfectly preserved: we can still witness the celebrations that took place during the 1725 Jubilee Year, when Alessandro Falconieri commissioned Ghezzi to decorate the first floor with scenes depicting Pope Benedict the Thirteenth’s visit to the castle. He also frescoed the side altar walls of the beautiful octagonal church. During the second half of the 19th century, the Falconieri Family dies out and for Torre in Pietra it’s the beginning of a period of decline. But in 1926, Senator Luigi Albertini bought the property with his son Leonardo and son-in-law Nicolò Carandini, and started the land reclamation work of the agricultural estate that was famous at the time and a model for the rest of Europe, and the restoration of the castle, church and village.
The Church inside the Castle.
Work of the renowned architect Ferdinando Fuga the Church is a jewel of the first half of ‘700: inside there is a scroll ornament and two frescoes which are the work of Pier Leone Ghezzi. Seating: up to 150 persons.
The Garden of the Castle.
Inside the main courtyard, two large meadows are fenced by a hedge of boxwood and in the centre of it there is a fountain of the ‘600s shaded by secular trees. The Area 2.500 m² . Table seating up to 500 persons.
Inside the Castle it’s possible to buy wine, cheese and olive oil directly produced from the owner’s farmland.
Address: Castello di Torre in Pietra – Piazza Torrimpietra 2 – 00050 Torrimpietra – (Roma)
Web Site: http://www.castelloditorreinpietra.it/